APPLE AND GINGER CRUMBLE RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
Provided by: delicious. magazine
Total time: 0 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
|For the filling|
|5 bramley apples, cored, peeled and diced|
|2 braeburn apples, cored, peeled and diced|
|Zest and juice 1 lemon|
|6 balls stem ginger in syrup, chopped|
|½ tsp ground ginger|
|½ tsp ground cinnamon|
|2 tbsp brandy|
|125g demerara sugar|
|For the topping|
|250g plain flour|
|200g chilled unsalted butter, cubed|
|50g demerara sugar|
|50g whole almonds (skin-on)|
|50g jumbo oats|
|75g ginger biscuits, well crumbled (see tips)|
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6. Toss all the filling ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined, then transfer to a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish.
- To make the topping, put the flour in another large bowl, then rub in the butter with your fingers until you have a coarse, crumbly mixture. Stir in the demerara sugar, almonds, oats and ginger biscuit crumbs to combine, then scatter evenly over the apples to cover.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the topping is golden and the fruit filling is tender, juicy and bubbling slightly at the edges (cover the dish with foil if it browns too quickly). Remove the cooked crumble from the oven and leave for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Divide among bowls and serve with plenty of fresh custard or vanilla ice cream.
Calories 589kcals, FatContent 26.6g (14.5g saturated), ProteinContent 6.5g, CarbohydrateContent 79.9g (49.5g sugars), FiberContent 6.7g
WINTRY APPLE BAKE WITH DOUBLE GINGER CRUMBLE | WINTER COMFORT …
Provided by: Deb Perelman
Yield: makes 8 servings
Heat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
Peel, halve, and core your apples. Cut each piece into 1-inch wedges. Arrange these in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, brandy, sugar, and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples, and toss the pieces so that they’re coated.
Make the crumbs
Melt the butter in a large bowl or saucepan. Stir in the sugars, then add the salt, baking powder, and ground ginger. Stir in the flour and candied ginger. Clumps of dough should easily form; if not, add another tablespoon of flour, and stir again.
Sprinkle the crumble on top of the prepared apples.
Bake the crumble
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the crumble is lightly browned and apples poked with the tip of a knife have no resistance.
Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving with a dollop of whipped cream, a trickle of cold cream, or some ice cream.
You can replace 1⁄3 of the flour in the topping with an equal volume of ground or finely chopped nuts. You can also add a handful of rolled oats for more texture.
BAKED GINGER-APPLE CRUMBLE RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 1 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4-6 serving(s)
|2 lbs cooking apples, pared, cored, sliced 1/4-inch thick (such as Granny Smith, Rome, Golden Delicious)|
|3 tablespoons granulated sugar|
|1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger|
|1/2 teaspoon ground ginger|
|1/2 teaspoon lemon zest|
|2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|1/3 cup walnut pieces|
|2/3 cup old fashioned oats|
|2/3 cup all-purpose flour|
|1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)|
|1 teaspoon cinnamon|
|1/8 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into 10 pieces|
|whipped cream, for serving|
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 9-inch square baking pan.
- Toss apples with granulated sugar and both gingers. Add lemon zest and juice and toss again. Spread apples evenly in buttered pan.
- Coarsely chop nuts and mix with oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs. (Or coarsely chop nuts in food processor. Add dry ingredients and pulse several times to mix. Place butter on top and pulse until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs.) Sprinkle topping over apples.
- Bake until apples are tender and topping is browned, 45-50 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Calories 657.4, FatContent 30.8, SaturatedFatContent 15.4, CholesterolContent 61, SodiumContent 90.2, CarbohydrateContent 95.2, FiberContent 8.4, SugarContent 60.2, ProteinContent 6.7