BARI-STYLE FOCACCIA – ITALIAN RECIPES BY GIALLOZAFFERANO
|Flour 00 soft wheat 5 cups|
|Fresh brewer’s yeast 2 tbsp|
|Fine salt 1 tbsp|
|Sugar 2 tsp|
|Water 1 cup|
|Pear tomatoes (or San Marzano) 17 oz|
|Baresane olives to taste|
|Cherry tomatoes to taste|
|Fine salt to taste|
|Oregano to taste|
|Extra virgin olive oil to taste|
|Extra virgin olive oil 4 tbsp|
- To prepare Bari style focaccia , place the flour in a bowl 1 . Place the brewers yeast in another bowl and add 1.76 oz of water 2 and stir with a teaspoon to dissolve it 3 .
- Add the water in which you dissolved the yeast to the flour 4 , and start kneading. Now add the salt 6 and remaining water, to dissolve it 6 .
- Knead thoroughly by hand to obtain a homogeneous mixture 7 , then add the sugar 8 and continue to stir. Place the dough on a work top 9 .
- Knead by hand until smooth 10 , then roll the dough into a ball 11 , sprinkle with a little flour and cover with a clean cloth 12 . Leaven for an hour, away from drafts of air.
- In the meantime, thoroughly wash the pear tomatoes and press to break them up into pieces 13 . Now take a 14 inch tray that is 2.17 inches tall. Generously grease the bottom 14 and add the dough 15 .
- Delicately press down by hand to stretch it out 16 and pour the oil onto the surface 17 , press down with your fingers to make dips and stretch the dough out 18 .
- Add the pressed tomatoes and spread them over the entire surface 19 , interspersed with the halved tomatoes 20 . Add a pinch of salt 21 .
- Place the olives on the focaccia 22 , along with the oregano 23 . Leaven for an hour and a half, then bake in a static oven preheated to 480 °F (250 °C ) for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve your barese focaccia hot or warm 24 .