ALFAJORES: DELICIOUS PERUVIAN COOKIE WITH MANJAR BLANCO – EAT PERU
Provided by: Eat Peru
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|1 cup self-rising flour (Doesn't require extra baking powder)|
|1 cup cornstarch|
|1 cup unsalted butter|
|¾ cup sugar|
|2 egg yolks|
|6 tablespoons powdered sugar|
|6 ounces manjar blanco (store-bought. Often sold as dulce de leche)|
|1/2 teaspoon fresh aniseed|
|1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract ((optional))|
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks and beat with a mixer until smooth.
- In another mixing bowl, use a fine strainer to sift the flour and cornstarch together. Also (Add the fresh aniseed here if desired)
- Add the fresh aniseed if desired
- Transfer the butter, sugar and vanilla extract mixture to the flour and cornstarch bowl
- Knead until the dough has a uniform texture.
- Shape into a big ball and let it rest for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Sprinkle a little flour on the clean counter-top surface.
- Use a bread roller, roll out the ball of dough until it’s about ½ inch thick. You should have 10-15 round cookies to bake, so it might be necessary to use two oven trays or dishes to bake them all in one go.
- Use the cookie cutters or a glass to cut circles of dough, about 3 inches wide.
- Place a baking sheet on your metal tray, or use a glass dish, sprinkle with flour and place the cookies with a couple of inches between them. With a fork, make a few holes in the center of each cookie to avoid the dough to break or rise too much when baking.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 F (175 C) for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, ensuring you remove them very carefully from the tray since these cookies can break quite easily. Wait for 30 mins until completely cool and finish your alfajores by topping half of them with manjar blanco at room temperature, and placing another cookie on top.
- Using a strainer, sprinkle the powdered sugar over the alfajores. Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee and try to stay close to the suggested serving size of 2 cookies per person!
Calories 439 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 26 g, ProteinContent 2 g, FatContent 37 g, SaturatedFatContent 23 g, CholesterolContent 98 mg, SodiumContent 7 mg, FiberContent 1 g, SugarContent 5 g, ServingSize 1 serving
PERUVIAN ALFAJORES WITH MANJAR BLANCO RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Kara Marie Cormier
Categories: Peruvian Recipes
Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 48 alfajores
|2 cups white sugar|
|3 sticks butter|
|5 cups cornstarch|
|2 cups all-purpose flour|
|3 tablespoons pisco|
|2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
|3 tablespoons water, or as needed|
|2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, or as needed|
|2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk|
|1 (6 ounce) can evaporated milk|
|¼ cup brown sugar|
|¼ cup confectioners’ sugar, or to taste|
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Beat white sugar and butter together in a large bowl using an electric mixer until creamy. Add cornstarch, flour, eggs, pisco, vanilla extract, and baking powder. Mix gently until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a clean work surface and knead by hand until smooth. Add water as needed. Divide in half, refrigerate 1 portion, and leave the other out.
- Coat your work surface with powdered sugar. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into 2-inch rounds with a cookie cutter or shot glass. Place rounds close together on a baking sheet. Prick each cookie twice with a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes; cookies should still be white and soft, not crispy, and will firm up as they cool. Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Pour condensed milk, evaporated milk, and brown sugar into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until filling approaches the consistency of thick caramel, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat; mixture will firm up as it cools to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Pour confectioners’ sugar into a shallow bowl. Spread about 1/2 tablespoon of the filling over cooled cookies. Attach every two cookies together to make the alfajores. Roll alfajores in confectioners’ sugar.
Calories 226.6 calories, CarbohydrateContent 35.9 g, CholesterolContent 37.3 mg, FatContent 7.9 g, FiberContent 0.3 g, ProteinContent 2.7 g, SaturatedFatContent 4.8 g, SodiumContent 83 mg, SugarContent 19.7 g