CZERNINA: POLISH DUCK BLOOD SOUP [WITH RECIPE!] | POLONIST
You may stumble upon this soup under another name, such as: czarnina, czarna polewka, czarna zalewajka, mała czarna. recette poulet lait de coco curry recettes.
Provided by: Adapted by Kasia
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 10 minutes
|1 duck carcass (including wings and neck)|
|3 medium (roughly 6 oz, 170 g) carrots|
|2 parsley roots (roughly 5.5 oz, 160 g)|
|1/2 celery root (roughly 5.5 oz, 160 g)|
|1 onion (roughly 6oz, 170 g)|
|5 bay leaves|
|5 all-spice berries|
|3 black peppercorns|
|1 gallon of water (3.7 litres)|
|1 cup (250 ml) duck blood, fresh or frozen|
|3.5 oz (100 g) dried fruit: prunes, pears, apricots|
|½ cup (50-60 g) frozen pitted cherries|
|2-3 tbsp sour cream|
|1 tbsp all-purpose flour|
|1 tbsp wine vinegar|
|½ tsp sugar|
|½ tsp dried marjoram|
|Salt, to taste|
|Pepper, to taste|
|egg pasta noodles|
|springs of fresh marjoram|
- [The day before] If you’ve purchased frozen duck blood, move it from the freezer to your fridge to let it thaw.
- Prepare the vegetables, wash them and peel them. Peel the onion and char it directly over the burner grate, until fully charred.
- Place the meat into a large cooking pot (5 qt/5 litre), turn on the heat to medium. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat significantly, so that the stock only simmers.
- When a layer of scum appears, remove it with a spoon or a small strainer.
- Add in the vegetables you’ve prepared, onion too. Then add the spices – 5 bay leaves, 5 all-spice berries, 3 black peppercorns and a teaspoon of salt. Cook for 1 hour on a low heat.
- As you wait, grab a smaller cooking pot and drop in the dried fruit. Cover with water and leave for 30 minutes to soak. Add cherries in and cook until soft. Strain and set aside.
- Let’s return to the large pot of stock. Remove meat and vegetables from the pot and strain the stock into a smaller pot. Add in the fruit.
- Make sure that the duck blood is at room temperature. Add 1 tablespoon of vine vinegar and half a tablespoon of sugar. Add one tablespoon of flour and 2-3 tablespoons of sour cream and mix together with a spoon, until well combined and the texture is smooth.
- Start reheating the stock again. Slowly, gradually, pour in the blood mixture, stirring constantly. Make sure not to bring the soup to boil.
- Season the soup with half a teaspoon of dried marjoram and some ground pepper. Have a taste – if you feel it needs more salt, it’s a good moment to add more in.
- Serve with pasta or dumplings, dried fruit pieces and garnish with fresh herbs, such as fresh marjoram.
Calories 112 calories, CarbohydrateContent 13 grams carbohydrates, CholesterolContent 23 milligrams cholesterol, FatContent 4 grams fat, FiberContent 3 grams fiber, ProteinContent 7 grams protein, SaturatedFatContent 1 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1, SodiumContent 70 grams sodium, SugarContent 6 grams sugar, TransFatContent 0 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFatContent 2 grams unsaturated fat