THE BEST SUPER SOFT AND CHEWY HOAGIE BREAD ROLLS
Provided by: The Kitchen Whisperer
Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 25 minutes
|3 1/2 – 4 cups bread flour/448-512 grams *see note|
|1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoon – 1 1/2 cups warm water (110-115F degrees) / 308-355 grams *see note|
|2 Tablespoon sugar|
|1 packet instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon of RedStar Platinum Yeast) / 7 grams|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt / 6 grams|
|4 Tablespoon cold butter, cubed *see note|
- Using Active Dry Yeast? Start here
- Using Instant Yeast? Start here
- Recipe Continuation
ServingSize 1 roll, Calories 376 calories, SugarContent 4.4 g, SodiumContent 325.7 mg, FatContent 9.1 g, SaturatedFatContent 5 g, TransFatContent 0 g, CarbohydrateContent 62.6 g, FiberContent 2.2 g, ProteinContent 10.1 g, CholesterolContent 20.4 mg
HOW TO MAKE CRUSTY HOMEMADE ITALIAN SUB ROLLS – NEST REFEATHERED
Provided by: Linda Kate
Total time: 140 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|5 c Bread Flour|
|¾ tsp Salt|
|2 c warm water|
|4 tsp dry yeast|
|3½ tbsp vegetable oil|
|1 lg egg ((room temperature))|
|4½ tsp granulated sugar|
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, salt and yeast.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together water, oil, egg and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Using a dough hook with mixer set to low speed, slowly add the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined and dough is starting to form. Increase speed to medium until dough becomes smooth. You can add a bit more flour if needed but be careful not to add too much.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand until dough becomes a smooth ball. Add more flour as needed to decrease stickiness but not make too dry.
- Place dough into a large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a clean towel. Allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (approx. 30-45 min.)
- Transfer dough to a clean, lightly floured surface and divide into eight equal pieces. Fold, roll and form each piece into an approx. 8-inch roll shape.
- Spray two baking sheets with a non-stick cooking spray. Place rolls on sheets, approx 3-inches apart. Cover with greased plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm area until doubled (approx. 40-minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- After dough has risen, cut a slash down the center of each with a very sharp knife or a razor blade.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 30 min. Should be lightly browned. Cool on baking rack before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container.
ServingSize 1 roll, Calories 310 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 61 g, ProteinContent 12 g, FatContent 2 g, SaturatedFatContent 1 g, CholesterolContent 1 mg, SodiumContent 223 mg, FiberContent 3 g, SugarContent 2 g