9 WAYS TO MAKE CAKE MIX BETTER – HOW TO IMPROVE BOXED CAKE MIX
Provided by: THEPIONEERWOMAN.COM
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0S
Yield: 8 servings
|1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temperature|
|1/2 c. salted butter, room temperature|
|1 c. natural unsweetened cocoa|
|2 1/2 tsp. espresso powder|
|1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract|
|5 c. powdered sugar|
|5 tbsp. milk, or more as needed|
- Beat butter until creamy. Beat in cocoa, mixing until combined. Stir espresso into vanilla extract then mix into the cocoa/butter mixture. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, alternating with milk. Beat each time until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed. Once all of the milk and sugar has been added, increase mixer speed and beat until fluffy. Add more sugar or milk as needed for consistency.
CAKE MIXES FROM SCRATCH AND VARIATIONS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Janet
Categories: Yellow Cake
Total time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yield: 1 -9×13 inch cake
|2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour|
|1 tablespoon baking powder|
|¾ teaspoon salt|
|1 ½ cups white sugar|
|½ cup shortening|
|1 cup milk|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
- For a Yellow Cake: Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening until fine crumbs are formed. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then high for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 9×13 inch pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Variation for a White Cake: Prepare as for the basic cake except use 3 egg whites for the 2 whole eggs. Whites may be beaten separately and added for a lighter cake.
- Variation for a Chocolate Cake: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the basic cake mix prior to adding the milk.
- Variation for a Spice Cake: Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice to the basic cake mix.
- Variation for a Pineapple Upside Down Cake: Melt 1/2 cup butter in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Add 2/3 cup brown sugar, stirring into the butter. Arrange pineapple slices in the pan. Top with the basic (yellow cake) mix recipe. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, cool 5 minutes, and invert to serve.
Calories 142.2 calories, CarbohydrateContent 22.5 g, CholesterolContent 16.3 mg, FatContent 5 g, FiberContent 0.3 g, ProteinContent 2.1 g, SaturatedFatContent 1.3 g, SodiumContent 143.9 mg, SugarContent 13.1 g