ALL-AMERICAN MACARONI & CHEESE RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
|1 cup macaroni|
|1 tablespoon butter|
|1/4 cup onion, chopped fine|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|1 tablespoon flour|
|1 1/2 cups milk|
|1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground|
|1/2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cabot’s Seriously Sharp)|
|1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cabot’s Vermont Cheddar)|
|1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- While making cheese mixture, cook macaroni per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Cook onion and garlic in butter until translucent.
- Add flour to saucepan and stir to combine, leaving no dry flour bits.
- Add milk all at once to saucepan along with black pepper. Stir to combine. Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in cheeses one at a time until melted, and mixture is smooth.
- Place cooked macaroni in a 1-quart casserole dish. Stir in cheese mixture until combined.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Calories 374.3, FatContent 21.5, SaturatedFatContent 13.4, CholesterolContent 67.4, SodiumContent 350.2, CarbohydrateContent 27.2, FiberContent 1.1, SugarContent 1.4, ProteinContent 18
JOHN LEGEND’S MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART
Provided by: Martha Stewart
Categories: Pasta and Grains
|4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish|
|Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper|
|3 cups elbow macaroni|
|2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk|
|1/3 cup skim milk|
|2 large eggs|
|1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt|
|1/4 teaspoon garlic powder|
|2 (8-ounce) packages extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated|
|1 (8-ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, grated|
|Paprika, for sprinkling|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and macaroni. Cook until al dente according to package directions. Drain, and return to pot. Add butter, and toss until pasta is coated and butter has melted; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, and eggs. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; set aside. In another medium bowl, combine cheeses; set aside.
- Place 1/3 macaroni in an even layer in the bottom of prepared baking dish; cover evenly with 1/3 cheese. Repeat with remaining macaroni and cheese mixture. Pour milk mixture evenly over contents of baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake until top layer is lightly browned, 35 to 45 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.