EASY KAPUSTA (POLISH BRAISED SAUERKRAUT WITH BACON)
Provided by: Lauren
Categories: Side Dish
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|4 slices bacon (cut into small pieces)|
|1 yellow onion (diced)|
|16 ounces sauerkraut (drained)|
|2 Tablespoons brown sugar|
|¼ cup water|
- Add the bacon to a large frying pan over medium high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and the fat is rendered.
- Add the onions an cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened and light golden brown. If the pan is too dry, you can add a teaspoon or two of olive oil.
- Stir in the sauerkraut, brown sugar, and water. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, until heated through and light golden brown.
ServingSize 1 serving, Calories 147 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 14 g, ProteinContent 4 g, FatContent 9 g, SaturatedFatContent 3 g, TransFatContent 1 g, CholesterolContent 15 mg, SodiumContent 899 mg, FiberContent 4 g, SugarContent 9 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 5 g
KAPUSTA RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Holly
Categories: Side Dish Casseroles
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|6 tablespoons butter, divided|
|2 onions, chopped|
|1 large portobello mushrooms, sliced|
|1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms|
|¼ medium head cabbage, thinly sliced|
|1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained and pressed|
|½ teaspoon white sugar|
|½ teaspoon dried thyme|
|salt and pepper to taste|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat; saute onions and mushrooms until tender.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, boil cabbage for 10 minutes.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish combine onions, mushrooms, cabbage, sauerkraut, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper; mix well. Dot remaining 2 tablespoons butter on top. Cover.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
Calories 151 calories, CarbohydrateContent 11 g, CholesterolContent 30.5 mg, FatContent 11.8 g, FiberContent 4.2 g, ProteinContent 2.6 g, SaturatedFatContent 7.4 g, SodiumContent 760.5 mg, SugarContent 5.6 g
KAPUSTA: POLISH SAUERKRAUT WITH MUSHROOMS [RECIPE!] | POLONIST
Provided by: Polonist
Total time: 12 hours 40 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|2 oz (55 g) dried wild mushrooms; can replace with 9 oz (250 g) fresh or frozen wild mushrooms, or regular button mushrooms|
|1 lb (450-500 g) sauerkraut|
|1 medium onion (5 oz, 140 g)|
|1 small apple, tart kind (5 oz, 140 g)|
|2 tablespoon linseed or olive oil|
|1.5 cup (375 ml) vegetable stock; can replace with white wine or water|
|3 oz (85 g) dried cranberries or prunes, chopped; optional|
|1 tablespoon parsley leaves, chopped|
|pinch of black pepper, ground|
|1/2 tablespoon caraway, ground or in seeds|
|3-4 allspice berries|
|3-4 bay leaves|
|1 tablespoon soy or Worcestershire sauce|
|1/2 teaspoon honey|
- [if using frozen mushrooms] Thaw the mushrooms, ideally overnight. Cut them into fine pieces.
- [if using dried mushrooms] Place the mushrooms in a bowl, cover with hot water and soak for at least 3 hours, ideally overnight. Retrieve from the water and chop finely.
- [if using fresh mushrooms] Chop the mushrooms finely into small pieces.
- Squeeze the juices out of the sauerkraut and chop it roughly.
- Peel the onion, chop it finely. Peel the apple and grate it using the largest holes of the box grater.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep frying pan. Add in chopped onion and fry it over medium heat until translucent.
- Add in the sauerkraut and spices: a generous pinch of ground pepper, a tablespoon of soy sauce, half a tablespoon of ground caraway, 3-4 allspice berries, 3-4 bay leaves and half a teaspoon of honey. If your sauerkraut isn’t overly salty, add a pinch of salt as well. Stir and fry together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and grated apple, stir it in and fry together for a minute.
- Pour in the stock or wine, and bring to a high heat (any liquid on the pan should start to boil). Add dried cranberries, reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take the lid off and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes, allowing the excess liquid to evaporate. If you see that it’s still watery, continue cooking until you’re happy with the consistency.
- Add chopped parsley, and stir it in. Cook together for a minute or two.
- As you stir, you might want to fish out all of the all-spice berries and bay leaves.
- Serve immediately or leave to cool down and use as a filling for other dishes.
Calories 156 calories, CarbohydrateContent 25 grams carbohydrates, CholesterolContent 6 milligrams cholesterol, FatContent 5 grams fat, FiberContent 5 grams fiber, ProteinContent 2 grams protein, SaturatedFatContent 2 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1, SodiumContent 107 milligrams sodium, SugarContent 12 grams sugar, TransFatContent 0 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFatContent 3 grams unsaturated fat
KAPUSTA – SAUERKRAUT WITH MUSHROOMS – EATING EUROPEAN
Provided by: Edyta
Categories: Side Dish
Total time: 90 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 80 minutes
|1/2 lbs Sauerkraut|
|2 oz Dried Wild Mushrooms|
|2 Onions (medium or 1 large, chopped)|
|2 Bay Leaves|
|5 corns Allspice|
|2 tbsp Olive Oil|
|1 teaspoon Sugar|
|Salt and Pepper (to taste)|
|1 teaspoon Parsley (chopped for garnish)|
- Rinse the sauerkraut under the running water. Squeeze excess water and chop it.
- Place sauerkraut in a pot with water. Water should come to a level where contents are submerged.
- Add bay leaves and allspice.
- Cook on low heat for about 40-60 minutes until the sauerkraut is soft.
- If water evaporates, you may need to add hot boiling water a few times during the process.
- In the meantime, place dried mushrooms in a pot with water. Let them stand for half an hour.
- Cook the mushrooms in the same water they were soaking in for another half an hour, adding a little bit of salt.
- In a frying pan, heat up the olive oil. Add onions and cook for approximately 5 minutes until they are golden brown.
- When the mushrooms are cooked, remove them with the slotted spoon and add to the sauerkraut.
- Using a cheesecloth (or thin strainer) and ladle, pour one ladle of the mushroom water at the time over the sauerkraut (you may want to add 1-3 ladles to the sauerkraut depending on how much liquid has evaporated)
- Cook for about 10 more minutes to reduce some of the liquid (the dish should be wet but not soaking in water).
- Add onions and sugar to the pot and stir to combine.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Add salt and pepper for taste.
- Optionally you can add a tablespoon or 2 of butter and mix it well.
- Garnish with parsley and serve as a side dish.
Calories 67 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 6 g, FatContent 4 g, SodiumContent 252 mg, FiberContent 1 g, SugarContent 2 g, ServingSize 1 serving
POLISH KAPUSTA RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: 8 side portions, 8 serving(s)
|1/4 cup butter|
|1 onion, chopped|
|7 inches kielbasa, cubed|
|1 quart sauerkraut, drained|
|2 carrots, shredded|
- Cook onion and kielbasa in frying pan until onions are translucent.
- Drain liquid from sauerkraut.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Transfer to a buttered casserole dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Calories 83.3, FatContent 6.5, SaturatedFatContent 3.9, CholesterolContent 16.8, SodiumContent 552, CarbohydrateContent 5.8, FiberContent 2.7, SugarContent 2.6, ProteinContent 1.3